BDUC Shimmy For a Cause
The Shimmy For a Cause competition will be a live competition in front of an audience. The competition will be held on the Stage B in Room 202 of the Long Beach Convention Center from 3:30-4:30 on Sunday, February 19th, 2017.
1) Prizes available for both the contestant with the most donations and the contestant who shimmies the longest onstage at BDUC 2017. Both prizes may be awarded to one dancer if she/he accomplishes both of these goals.
2) Minimum donation for participation on stage competition is $25 per participant. If a participant raises less than $25, she/he shall donate the funds and they will be allocated to the charity, Friendship Through Dance.
3) Donations should be obtained as a flat donation in the form of a check or cash.
4) Donations should be collected in a 9x11 manila envelope with the names and amounts of donors on the outside. Totals should be tallied prior to registration at the event.
5) Contestants are required to sign in at least half an hour prior to the live competition at BDUC 2017. Sign-ins will be at the registration table at the entrance to the event.
6) Contestants must be at Stage B (Room 202) at least ten minutes prior to the start of the competition. Contestants not on stage by 3:20pm will forfeit the opportunity to participate in the onstage portion of the competition.
7) The Shimmy For a Cause competition will be a live competition in front of an audience. The competition will be held on the Stage B in Room 202 of the Long Beach Convention Center from 3:30-4:30 on Sunday, February 19th, 2017.
8) Upon the start of the competition, competitors will take the stage in an orderly fashion and stand in a row, arms length apart.
9) The Shimmy Competition will continue for up to 1 hour. If more than one dancer reaches the one-hour mark, both dancers will receive a prize.
10) Contestants must wear a coin belt, hip scarf or other decoration to ensure that both the audience and the judges see their shimmies.
11) Shimmies must be a fast paced, isolated, stationary shimmy with arms held out to the sides. Elbows cannot touch the sides of the body and any contestant who holds their arms below shoulder level for more than half the contest may be disqualified. Contestants who slow down considerably or touch the sides of their bodies with the elbows may be called out of the competition by the judges. Judges have the final say in the aforementioned matters.
12) Arms and hands may embellish a competitor's shimmy, but may not drop completely to vertical. A judge will demonstrate the rule at the competition.
13) Halfway through the contest, a judge may call a Shimmy Circle. At that time ONLY, contestants will create a dance circle and move around the stage in a group. Contestants must continue to shimmy as well as hold their arms up and out during the Shimmy Circle. A judge will call the Shimmy Circle to an end; contestants will shimmy back to their places and continue to shimmy with arms up and out the sides.
14) Bathroom breaks, eating, drinking or purposefully distracting other contestants will not be allowed during the competition.
15) If a competitor falters and does not meet the requirements, a judge will call the number of the competitor. Competitors are asked to leave the stage gracefully and without argument.
16) If a competitor disagrees with their removal from the competition, the competitor may hold up their hand with the pointer finger and middle finger in a "V". Once this gesture is made, the judges will convene quickly to make a final decision on the removal of the contestant from the competition. The team of judges may also ask the audience, as a whole, for an opinion on the status of a competitor. Once the team of judges has made a decision, that decision is final and the contestant will either be asked to leave the stage gracefully or informed that they may continue on in the competition. IMPORTANT: if you are contesting the judges' decision, you may not stop shimmying or lower your arms/hands for any moment, you must keep going until the decision is made.
17) The Shimmy Competition will continue until all but one contestant has been disqualified OR until the competition reaches the one-hour mark.
18) Upon completion of the Shimmy Competition, the winners of both categories will be announced and prizes will be awarded
19) LIABILITY RELEASE: I hereby agree that I will not hold the Bellydancer of the Universe® Competitions, or any of their producers, sponsors, employees, volunteers, or others acting on their behalf (hereinafter collectively referred to as “BDUC”), liable for any injury or illness, or for the loss or destruction of any personal property that may occur during, or as a result of my participation in the Bellydancer of the Universe® Competition (the “Event”). I hereby voluntarily release, forever discharge and agree to indemnify and hold harmless BDUC for any and all causes of action, which are in any way connected with my participation in the Event including such claims which allege negligent acts or omissions of BDUC. I also agree that all information on the entry form is true and correct. NOTE: Each member of a Group will be required to agree to the terms of the Waiver before they will be allowed to perform.
20)MEDIA RELEASE AGREEMENT: I understand photographers and/or television crews may sometimes be present photographing or filming competitions, performances, classes, rehearsals or presentations regarding the Event. I give Bellydancer of the Universe® Competitions the irrevocable right to use these photographs and/or television footage that include myself for advertising, promotion, exhibition, or any lawful purposes on television, or in any newspapers, magazines, internet or any other media. I waive any right to inspect or approve the photograph(s) or finished version(s) incorporating the photograph(s) including written copy that may be created and appear in connection therewith. I agree that Bellydancer of the Universe® Competitions owns the copyright in these photographs and I hereby waive any claims I may have based on any usage of the photographs or works derived therefrom, including but not limited to claims for either invasion of privacy or libel. In the case that more than 2 contestants remain in the competition at the end of the time limit, the judges of the Shimmy Competition will determine the final winner with a tie breaker.
- Friendship Through Dance is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that provides donations, scholarships and partnerships to benefit competitive dancers, entertainers, actors and performance artists to further their growth in arts education. We are based in San Luis Obispo, California, but our artists compete and entertain all over. Most recently the beneficiaries of Friendship Through Dance's work won all the top awards at LA Dance Magic in San Jose, California, including a rare Double Platinum award, the highest award given in this competition.
- Checks may be made out to Friendship Through Dance, Tax ID #47-3366383
"Bellydancer of the Universe®," "Bellydancer of the Universe," and "BDUC" are trademarks of A. Long and the Bellydancer of the Universe® Competitions.
Bellydancer of the Universe® Competitions
PMB 343, 5318 East Second St
Long Beach, CA 90803-5354
562 433 6615 --- Email
Page updated 02/12/17
Disclaimer: PLEASE NOTE: We do our best to provide accurate and up-to-date
information on this web site. However, all posted text is subject to errors,
changes, additions, deletions and periodic updates. Thanks.
1999-2017, All rights reserved
Tonya and Atlantis.com